Monday, July 29, 2013

Around 10 months ago it was suggested to me by a medical professional on my son's care team to consider making a blog.  Initially, I did not give the idea one thought.  What is the point of that? And it would be short lived because of course my son would have little to no issues in a short matter of time!  

Well months later, after telling the same stories over and over again, and after being discharged from a 5 month NICU stay for my son and him having way more issues than I had hoped, I understand why I was told I should consider starting a blog.

I truly do not know where to start.  For an 11 month old baby he has so much history.  His medical file is about 20 times bigger than me,  maybe even more.  His file continues to grow as does he (weight gain is thankfully one issue we have not had a problem with yet).  I suppose since all of his medical and developmental issues are ongoing there will be a time in the future to blog about them, for now I will focus on what is happening right now and today.

While I was making a fabulous lunch if I do say so myself (Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese) I received a call from AI Hospital.  I figured it was about my son's hearing aides we are waiting on (see future blog post) since I had called them earlier and left a message to see when they would be in.  I gave the phone to Billy (Big Bill not Lil Bill) so I could finishing cooking.  I was hoping that they would tell us just to stop by Wednesday since we have a swallow study scheduled for that day (see another future blog post).  Well minutes go by and I hear Billy talking to someone on the other line about Lil Bill's laryngomalacia.  I was confused as to what this had to do with the hearing aides.  I looked over at Billy and realized, we were getting the results of Lil Bill's sleep study.

Lil Bill came home from the hospital on oxygen and has been off since March.  We had our first sleep study in the beginning of July.  I was hoping that we would hear the results were great and they would finally let us get the oxygen tanks, the concentrator, the pulse ox, probes, and cannulas out of the house.  Well that is not exactly how is played out.  We were told that apparently Lil Bill stops breathing for about 10 seconds at a time, 24 times an hour.  I am slightly concerned but honestly I am not that disturbed by it.  Compared to everything else he has gone through and still goes through this seems so minuet.  Lil Bill's pulmonary doctor doesn't seem too concerned either, he gave Billy a couple different possible solutions (two including surgery).  So while we did not hear back from our audiologist about the hearing aides to get see if we could pick them up Wednesday we did get a second appointment Wednesday with ENT to help us get to one of the possible solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment